Vegan Acai Berry Cake
For the crust:
1 cup Almond (or 1/2 cup Almond and 1/2 cup Pistachios)
3/4 Fresh Dates (pitted and chopped)
3/4 cup Shredded Coconut
1 – 2 tbsp Nature’s Superfoods Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
For the filling:
3 cups chopped cashews, soaked in water for at least 3 hours
1 cup Fresh Blueberries
1 cup Fresh Strawberries
1/2 cup Coconut Nectar (or Raw Honey) or to taste
Juice of 1 Lemon
- Lightly grease a 20cm (8 inch) spring-form cake tin (using coconut oil) and line the bottom of the tin with baking paper.
- To make the crust, add almonds, dates, shredded coconut, coconut oil and cacao nibs into a food processor and blend until well combined. Press the mixture evenly into the bottom of the cake tin and place in the fridge.
- To make the filling, drain the cashews of excess water and rinse. Place into the food processor with coconut oil, coconut nectar and lemon juice. Blend until silky smooth.
- Remove half of the mixture from the food processor and set aside in a bowl.
- Add the strawberries to the mixture in the food processor and combine. Pour the strawberry layer onto the crust. Lightly tap the tin on a firm surface to remove any small air bubbles. Place in the freezer for an hour until firm. The firmer the layer the more defined the layering so be patient.
- Place the other half of the mixture with the blueberries and Acai berry into the food processor and combine until smooth. Pour on top of the strawberry layer. Lightly tap to remove any bubble as above.
- Place in the freezer until firm. Remove the whole cake from the pan while frozen and place on a serving platter. Defrost in the refrigerator or for an hour on the bench prior to serving.